Sam...
In my *limited* experience with the K3 decoder, I have found that the quality of the sent cw is a big factor in effective decoding. For example, leaving all radio settings constant, one signal will decode perfectly, while another of the same strength and general speed will be gibberish. Another test is to copy W1AW code practice; decodes perfectly every time here. Of course, that is machine sent code. Signals sent at speed using a bug/Vibroflex seem to give the decoder a fit.
...robert

On 6/19/2013 19:51, Bill Conkling wrote:
Sam,

I have found that the first step is to make sure the signal is tuned as
close as possible.  Signals way off frequency will not decode well at all.
Then by setting the RF gain fully clockwise, and NR off, set the threshold
to a value that allows the CWT indicator to flash in time with the CW
signal.  If it is on too long, adjust the RF gain down a bit.  I can usually
find a setting that works very well for most decent CW.  Guys sending with
lllooonnnggg dahs and short dits are hard to decode.  So is irregular rhythm
or speed.  Bad spacing is also a problem.  But if adjusted well, it works
fine.

...bill nr4c

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Morgan [mailto:k5oai....@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:45 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 CWT decoding update please

running vs 4.67 | 1.115 | 2.81 | 2.81 | 1.03

I remember there was a discussion about improving the K3's cw decoding after

some agc upgrade that took place a long time ago. I wonder if what we have
now
is the 'final' version that we are just going to have to settle for?

I ask because I am still having a lot of trouble with cw decodes
I run thr 2 and cw 5-40 but decoding is just about useless
I have tried agc slow/fast and off
I have played with rf gain as well as filter widths
(I have 200 & 500hz filters as well as the 2.7 ssb filter installed)

with my new external svga display for the P3, I was looking forward to doing

some lazy cw monitoring on the external monitor

at best I can copy strong stations like ARRL's code practice runs well,
but trying to decode most other cw qso's is pretty bad.

what was the older firmware version that did such a good job with decoding?

also if you do have it working, what setting are you using that do work?

TIA

--
Robert G Strickland, PhD ABPH - KE2WY
rc...@verizon.net.usa