Looks like a opportunity for somebody to venture into the commercial world with
a "CONVERSION PLUG" for the K2??

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 18:34
To: Stewart Baker; Jim; Elecraft Reflector
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] MicroHam microkeyer

Stewart and all,

That is precisely why I hesitate to refer to the DE9 connector on the KIO2
and the KPA100 as an 'RS232' connector.

To those not yet informed, please be aware that connecting a standard RS232
serial cable to this K2 connector (and the other end to a computer) will
most certainly do harm to your K2.  This connector carries K2 control
signals (non-RS232) as well as the RS232 signals (only TXD and RXD and
Signal Ground are RS232 standard levels).  The connector itself does not
follow the RS232 standard - perhaps it would have been better implemented as
a DIN connector, but it is too late for that now.

There are only 3 pins (OK, 4 if you include frame ground on pin 1) that are
RS232 signals.  The rest of the pins should not be subjected to the up-to
plus/minus 25 volts levels that may be present should the other end of the
cable be connected to a device which presents  standard RS232 signals.

For my own K2, I have put a plug into pin 4 and broken off pin 4 of the
mating cable, so only that special cable can be plugged into the K2 to
prevent an accident that can happen to the best of us.

73,
Don W3FPR