I've been using TX TEST for this purpose.  Your K3 is probably set up
to use DTR or RTS for keying.  When the USB enumerator starts up, the
first thing it does is reset all the hubs and endpoints, and this
causes the serial adapter's DTR/RTS to become asserted, keying the K3.
USB  may be reset several times, resulting in TX cycles to match.

The only other way of preventing this (that I know of) is to unplug
the serial line at the adapter.

This shouln't happen on a regular COM port, one that's integrated into
the computer.  I believe it will *always* happen if there's a
USB/serial adapter in line.

73,
matt W6NIA