The West Valley Amateur Radio Association field day operation was set up as it has been for the last few years on Mora Hill. Mora Hill is at an altitude of about 500' on the west side of the Santa Clara Valley, California. This year we were 9A SCV. We had 4 towers with various Uda-Yagi antennas for 20M, 15M, and 10M with wire antennas for 40M and 80M.

On HF we were an all K3 operation and for the second year in a row experienced no mutual interference between our transmitters. We did set up our antennas in a line, all pointed at the east coast, so the side lobe rejection helped reduce interference. I was operating the digital station for most of the event and the only indication I had of other stations in our operation was a strong track on the P3 from our CW operation.

I did get significant interference from another field day operation. They were set up perhaps 1/4 mile away in the major lobe of our antennas using 100 watts. When I turned the RF gain down low enough to prevent overload from their signal it looked like a clean PSK signal, so I think the wide-band interference was being generated in my receive chain. However, with the gain that low, I couldn't receive anyone else. :-)

The K3 I was using has 250Hz 8 pole and 2.1KHz 8 pole filters in addition to the 2.7 and FM filters. I could get the interfering station out of the passband on the 250 filter quite easily, but there was still a wide band of noise covering the entire 2KHz band of the computer waterfall. Using the notch filter didn't eliminate the noise.

In the end we had 139 digital QSOs in the log and many more CW and SSB ones. We all ended up tired and happy which means we had a good field day.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to improve reception under these conditions?

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV