Hmm, reading all this and wondering (wanting) more clarification of what is meant by "We are going out over 200 mi. from
the nearest real town...".

That would describe 75% or maybe 90% of Alaska. If this is a short-term camping trip or vacation it will be a bit different from living full-time (Off the grid). I know a little bit about both situations (serious backpacker in the Sierras in the 1970's; lived totally off the grid for ten years in "near" bush Alaska. I did have a dirt road but no electricity, phone, running water, etc. Three years of that I lived in a 8x10 foot wall tent. But I had a 1700w gas generator, 100AH marine battery, HF and 2m radios, battery TV and car stereo. I was 25 air miles (and 90 road miles) from a large city.

I used my 2m radio to access a repeater with a phone patch or walked to a neighbor that had telephone. Nearest ambulance service was 50 two-lane mountain road miles away (took 1-hour response time after contact). Fire dept was also that far away. GPS had not been invented, yet. Marine rescue was via VHF channel-21. Loran-C was the standard navigation tool.

Today, I would probably consider having both ham radio and an alternative (just in case). What I got would depend if this is a short trip or living full-time. People in bush AK often have satellite internet and TV, and/or sat-phone. The "old days" in AK HF ham radio was a major communication link (for everything).

When living out in the bush one develops good neighbors and a lot of self-sufficiency (and being very careful). I lived alone so no one would likely come looking for a couple weeks or more. This is more so if a backcountry traveler.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
dubus...@gmail.com
"Kits made by KL7UW"