While all these posts have good advice for a bc trip , I really just want the
KX3 amplifier. I have the other items already ( Delorme GPS plus SPOT with
rescue insurance paid up, sat. phone rented , several 2M HT's ( APRS godd idea
, I'll add that ) and the usual flares , panels , noisemakers and things that
go bang ) .

But...I need an amplifier and the right antennas to add to this.
We will be doing the check in via SPOT , sat. AND am. band.
SPOT loses lock in jungle and mountain ,vso do sat. phones and GPS.
Certain unfriendlies like to jam their freq's as well.
In addition to that any or all that gear can be broken , lost or confiscated by
certain sticky fingered locals ( it.s happened ).
Hard to jam 6M-160M all the time though.
I am not "shouting in the dark" for rescue.  We have several pre-planned
operators standing by with preplanned times and frequencies and backup
frequencies.
But, they are also mobile or may have interference so I want the best chance at
a clear signal both ways.
There are no repeaters out there.
This is in Africa.

Please , any KX3 amplifier advice ?
Ten-Tec , Hardrock , etc. , which specific models with setup/operating tips ?
Greatly appreciated !

Bill"ny4g [via Elecraft]" <ml-node+s365791n7576048...@n2.nabble.com> wrote:Some
HT's have GPS and with APRS one can send messages.  I have used it on hikes so
my wife can track me on the internet as I hike.  The HT sends a beacon signal
out and the movement can be tracked through APRS.fi   Any Ham can get an APRS
account.    I have even used APRS on my iPhone for the same tracking
capability.  Remote from civilization though you would need an HT with APRS
like the VX8R by Yaesu or a TinyTrack tracker.  With the HT however, you can
call for help and the reach can be substantial depending on elevation or having
a nearby repeater.  Having worked 45 states on Field Day just using a KX3 and a
G0GSF dipole, I have no qualms with getting out and reaching people with a KX3
on HF.  When the 2m module gets out - I have a complete package for all modes
of remote operation.
Ariel NY4G

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:51:08 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 Amp
>
> That's what I'd do as well.  Some personal locators will send an "I'm
> OK" message, too to designated recipients.  And, if you don't want to
> buy a personal locator... you can rent them, which might be less
> expensive, if it's a one-time trip.
>
> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR
> KX3 #211
>

> On Jun 30, 2013, at 7:43 PM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:
>
> > I love amateur radio.
> >
> > However, if I was living 200 miles from the nearest real town, I'd
> > invest in a good Personal Locator Beacon (or two) .  The kind with a
> > built-in GPS.
> >
> > Sure, it's not "communications" but it's a one-button "come get us,
> > we're right here" and the Search and Rescue Satellites are quite good.
> >
> > I keep mine in the car.
> >
> > -- Lynn
> >
> > On 6/30/2013 4:42 AM, KF5TEU wrote:
> >> Unfortunately , yes , I do need an amp. . We are going out over 200
> >> mi. from
> >> the nearest real town and if we need help then I would really love
> >> to get
> >> through vs. be falsely proud of my QST skills that gets me nothing
> >> but dead
> >> air  while we hike back with no medical or rescue personnel knowing
> >> we are
> >> in trouble. So , does anyone have a good amp. suggestion with
> >> experience
> >> ?Thanks in advance.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Post: mailto:[hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-Amp-tp7571696p7576048.html
To unsubscribe from KX3 Amp, click here.
NAML