I have a Delorme GPS and SPOT PLB but....limited to text messaging IF it can
connect. I'd rather avoid emergencies too and good comm's are a huge help,
"..cross river here not there" , "..unfriendles spotted near x" ,   " Erdu at
point Y" ,"meet Joe at point x..." , then able to talk with Joe as we approach
, etc..   Nothing lke real time phone to keep a trip safe and productive. 2M
would be nice but we have seceral small HT's for that.
So , rather than discuss why I could use anything else..does anyone know of a
good portable amp for the KX3 ?
Amplifier advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill"Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT [via Elecraft]"
<ml-node+s365791n757605...@n2.nabble.com> wrote:I read the blog post.  That's
where I found (your) satphone pricing, and
your comment about calling to be picked up at a different trailhead.

Your blog post does not address the original post -- he wants a 100 watt
amp for reliable emergency communications from his home located 200
miles from "civilization."

Different requirements, different answers.  Often, more than one correct
answer.

-- Lynn

> Fine, PLBs are for personal maritime emergencies and EPIRBs are for sinking
> ships. Either one will get a rescue.
>
> The story about the wildfire is here:
>
> http://wunderwood.org/most_casual_observer/2009/08/fighting_a_wildfire_with_milk.html
>
> In the Sierras in August, any wildfire is serious, even a single-tree fire
> like we fought.
>
> I'm fine with taking some time to get an antenna up. I'm talking about what
> you decide to put in your pack at the trailhead.
>
> Since you didn't read the blog post, I'll repeat it. My preference is to
> avoid rescue situations. Reliable communications can help me do that. Once
> you are in a rescue situation, activate the beacon and pray.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
>
> On Jun 30, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:
>
>> PLBs actually aren't legal for sinking ships (or crashing airplanes), there
>> is a different category of device for that.
>>
>> Personal Locator Beacons are meant to do one simple task: summon help in an
>> emergency.
>>
>> Calling someone to tell them you're at a different trailhead is not an
>> emergency.
>>
>> If I'm off in the backcountry, I'd suggest that a medical emergency and risk
>> of being overrun by a wildfire aren't that different.
>>
>> If you want to report a wildfire that isn't threatening you, that isn't an
>> emergency, and if it takes you a bit to get an antenna up, and find someone
>> to relay a message, then by all means pull out your KX3 and a random bit of
>> wire and tell someone.
>>
>> A satphone (according to your post) is about $120 for a given outing. A PLB
>> is about $250 for five to seven years.
>>
>> It's good to have more than one tool in your toolbox.
>>
>> -- Lynn
>>
>> On 6/30/2013 5:41 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
>>> There are a lot of emergency situations that benefit from two-way
>>> communication. PLBs are great for sinking ships, but not so good for
>>> distinguishing between a wildfire and a medical emergency.
>>>
>>> I've dealt with a few emergencies in the backcountry. On one trip, we had
>>> both a wildfire and two medical situations. You can draw your own
>>> conclusions about heading into the backcountry with me. :-)
>>>
>>> Hey, I wrote a long blog post about that:
>>> http://wunderwood.org/most_casual_observer/2011/10/emergency_communication_in_the.html
>>>
>>> wunder
>>> K6WRU

>>> --
>>> Walter Underwood
>>> [hidden email]

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> --
> Walter Underwood
> [hidden email]

> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Post: mailto:[hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-Amp-tp7571696p7576058.html
To unsubscribe from KX3 Amp, click here.
NAML