On 8/19/2013 11:38 AM, Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:
We don't have to worry about processorpower. The hardware is already there and still developping. And Yes, sampling up to 6m is possible.

Arie,

I understand your position.

It's just that a $20 filter can reduce the amount of processing needed by a couple of orders of magnitude. It probably doesn't even need to be a great filter, you can fix that in the DSP.

... and my experience, working with computers since 1969, is that no matter how much processing you have, there is always a need for just a tiny bit more.

The best part of the DSP is that the manufacturer can (most don't, but they can -- Elecraft does) improve the radio over time.

I'm not familiar with the other Software Defined Radios out there, but I'll bet that nearly all of them do some kind of analog pre-filtering, then do the heavy lifting in software.

-- Lynn