I could use some education here please:

What is the advantage of sampling directly off the antenna? I'm surmising that's what is meant by "real SDR" vs "hybrid SDR". I don't know if 32-bit ADC's existed when the K3 was being designed, but Elecraft settled on the hybrid superhet analog 1st IF/digital 2nd IF for at least one reason and probably many.

The dynamic range of signal amplitudes at my coax connector across the 0 to 30MHz spectrum has got to be huge, even after LORAN-C shut down. Is there really any benefit to having that broad a spectrum with that large an amplitude range in the number soup?

If you want to observe that spectrum, wouldn't it be better to use a spectrum analyzer and save your communications receiver to be optimized to deal with the tiny little slices we want 99.999% of the time?

If the K3 sampled at the 8MHz 1st IF, after the analog roofing filters [i.e. RF amp and 1st mixer only], would it make the K3 a "real SDR" in the eyes of those who don't see it that way now?

I'm serious about the "education" part, this "Is the K3 an SDR" thread has been going, on and off, for more than a year. It seems that we have two ideologies going, "Digitalists" vs "Analogists." Unfortunately, debating ideologies qualitatively is rarely productive.

My education is in math, my understanding of EE is the result of 60 years in ham radio colored by a math background.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org