----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Rairdin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

All that said, I would love it if the K3 had a nice LCD color display...
---

Two things:

[1] Competition is good - it makes the market place bigger and draws more people in. DZ will attract people to this aspect of the hobby, some will naturally levitate towards Elecraft.

[2] One thing that has crossed my mind is for a radio such as the K3 (or K4 ...) to be bootable from either of two EPROM's, one with the manufacturer's code, the other with your own. This option would not require much extra effort but would open up the internals to those of us who are daft enough to play with such things of an evening instead of supporting the local brewery.

The manufacturer could supply 'something that works'. The only real problem is that developing good software is extremely expensive. My above idea would have been good with the Orion (IMHO).

I am not volunteering :-)

Simon Brown
---
www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch