Lynn,

Not only keeping the system sounds from going out on the air, BUT ---
If you are using a laptop, the internal sound card typically has only a Mic level input (no line-in). With a mic level input, the KX3 (or K3) will overdrive the mic input unless you provide an attenuator in the line. Similarly, the soundcard line out is too large a level for the mic input of the KX3, and you may need an attenuator - that depends on your computers line out and the amount of control you have for the output level.

The 3rd reason is that many internal sound cards have a lousy noise floor. An external card will usually beat the internal soundcard when the noise floors are compared.

That being said, internal soundcards have improved in the last few years, so give it a try (especially if you have a desktop) and see if the results are adequate for your needs - you can always add a USB soundcard later.

73,
Don W3FPR