From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of iain macdonnell - N6ML
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:27 AM
To: Bill W2BLC
Cc: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 - operation with the KPA500 and KAT500

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 3:20 AM, Bill W2BLC <w2...@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> Am I correct that the K3, KAT500, and KPA500 operates seemlessly when
> operating SSB and you QSY? Specifically, is any operator intervention
> (button pushing or tuning) need for QSY from the upper part of the
> band to the lower part of the band (ie: 3975 QSK to 3655). Can I just
> pick the mic and talk? Or, is some manual action required for the change?

With firmware 1.20 or newer, the KAT500 will (unless you configure it not to)
automatically perform "memory recall tunes" as you move around within a band -
i.e. when it detects a frequency change, it will recall the memory closest to
the new frequency.

In AUTO mode, it will also initiate full tuning if necessary, based on VSWR
measured above the configured threshold. In MAN mode, it will not initiate
tuning based on VSWR. This is explained in mode detail in the
KAT500 Utility help.

Full tuning will require a key-down signal - SSB won't do it - so, as Gary
suggests, "teaching" it about various segments within each band (especially
80m) will help with smooth operation as you QSY around.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML