Bill,

I'm a CW operator, but I believe you could try the method I use to
activate the tuner and amp before working phone on MARS frequencies.

After you have tuned the tuner on your favorite frequencies (phone
and/or CW), perform the actions below when you QSY.

1. Set the K3 to transmit CW in SSB mode.
2. Connect a cw key to the K3.
3. After you have moved to the new band, tap the CW key one time and
the tuner and amp will be ready to transmit SSB.

Tom N5GE