To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 - operation with the KPA500 and KAT500

The reason I asked the original question is my experience with the KPA500 and KAT500:

KPA500 in the OPER mode.
KAT500 in AUTO (solid on).
K3 set to 25 Watts when running with the amp.
Everything has been well checked over for errors in installation and setup.

When I QSY between 3970 from 3755 and start talking on LSB - the KPA500 and the KAT500 both go wild. The tuner does not appear to remember that both frequencies have been "memorized" or is very slow (several seconds) to make the determination. The tuner will click (relay noise) and the amp will show RED FAULT (REFL HI) and go to STBY.

Using the above frequencies, when I press the XMIT/TUNE button I get an immediate RED FAULT (REFL HI) however, the unit does not go into STDY. If the XMIT is kept on, the RED FAULT will switch off after about 3 or 4 seconds and normal amp output power is noted. I can then talk and all is fine.

If this is how the combo is supposed to act, so be it - however, it isn't what I expected. When I purchased the KAT500 and KPA 500, I was under the impression it would follow me around the bands seamlessly, with only the VFO touched for QSY

The amp and tuner were factory built - so no chance of errors there. What am I missing? Or, is this how it is designed and is actually working "properly?"

Thanks,

Bill W2BLC