Why not go one step further and remove the radio all together? Just send the QSO's over the internet!

Craig Rairdin wrote:
I am a newcomer to all of this, and I am wondering if there is any place left in contesting for those of us who choose not to have a computer send code or receive code

Actually I was daydreaming about the opposite and was wondering if anyone is
working on this: There's no reason a program couldn't be written to automate
the entire contesting process. The computer could work the radio, answer
calls, send replies, and keep its own log. A control op would have to be
present, and we'd need an operating class for "fully automated". It wouldn't
necessarily be something where you'd sell the software to the mass market,
thus destroying contesting forever, but rather it would make an interesting
competition among the various software companies.

You could even have networks of computers working one-per-band and other
computers acting as spotters for rare multipliers.
Software is pretty close to this already. WriteLog can integrate sending CW
so tightly with logging, that it really only adds one keystroke to the
normal keystrokes required for logging. After sending a CQ you enter the
callsign and hit enter. It sends your report. Then enter the other guy's
report and hit enter again. It logs the QSO and sends QSL/QRZ. If it could
parse the CW decoder window it would be half-way there.

As a programmer this sounds really cool. I don't have time to write it but
it would be fun to work on if I could.

Craig
NZ0R
K1 #1966