Good morning Don.  The PS suddenly died on me at our beach house in Long Beach.
 I had no equipment there and first
assumed it was my K3.  Brought the rig home to Portland and it worked fine.
So, it was the supply, an Astron RS35A--couple years old.
 Anyway, checked the fuse, cleaned contacts etc and it was .8v at the
terminals. .  So, I replaced the voltage IC which I got from
Mouser and used Deoxit on the the voltage adjustment pot.  I have another RS35A
which has run fine for over 30 years.

I don't feel comfortable playing around inside a live supply but will take the
cover off and do another visual inspection while unplugged.
It has to be something simple I would think.

thanks Don,  Gary W7TEA

On Oct 17, 2013, at 5:42 AM, "Don Wilhelm-4 [via Elecraft]"
<ml-node+s365791n7579965...@n2.nabble.com> wrote:

> You did not show any of the prior information (one of the problems with
> posts from Nabble), so I can only guess that you are working with a
> power supply problem.
> A situation like that is often caused by something loose in the negative
> side of the supply, something that is frequently overlooked.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 10/17/2013 1:54 AM, Gary, W7TEA wrote:
> > Well, traded out the voltage regulator IC and no joy.  Then I tried Deoxit
> > on
> > the adjustment pot, tweaked it a bit and measured voltage at 13.8vdc!
> > Great! Turned it off and on, tried it again, and was ready start bragging
> > the XYL---but it was back to .8v.  Didn't see any suspect components while
> > had it open.

> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> below:
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-suddenly-dies-tp7579305p7579965.html
> To unsubscribe from K3 suddenly dies, click here.
> NAML

-----
73,

Gary W7TEA  K3 #1001, #5763