Mark,

You will get lots of responses to this. 99.9% of the folks on the Elecraft are more experienced and smarter than me.

I have a similar situation with a WM-2 wattmeter and my KX3. Here's how I stopped worrying about it:

1. I realized that I have to bypass the ATU in the KX3 to get a "good" reading on the WM-2. 2. Even after doing #1, I still have a 2W discrepancy between the KX3 and the WM-2 (i.e. 5 W on the KX3 reads as 7 W on the WM-2). It varies at different bands and output power. 3. In my experience, wattmeters vary greatly and there is a deviation percentage that I think must be taken into account. I don't know what that amount is either. :) 4. When I use one, I am looking at an external wattmeter with a needle to get an instantaneous reading on reflected power. The needle is large and visible and I keep the meter in REV when I use it. This leads to an experience I had several years ago in a class on SCADA radios. The discussion of the Bird 43 wattmeter came up:

I was once told that a Bird 43 wattmeter has about a 10 - 20% error rate (I forget the exact number). I told the guy I didn't care as long as it was the same inaccuracy when looking in both directions. I was looking for a *ratio*, not necessarily an output power. He looked at me like I was purple and had three eyes.

I try to simplify things. The purists and the engineers out there will in all likelihood disagree with what I've said. I am sure there are instances where what I say will not or cannot work. In my casual operation as an amateur for 20 years, this has worked for me. In my professional career as a telecomm tech doing PMs and trouble-shooting on 37, 450, and 900 MHz radios for almost as long, this has worked.

As with anything else I may say, this is just my experience. Your mileage may vary greatly...

73,
Joel - W4JBB