In an older era, Telonic and HP made Rho-tectors as I remember.  The beauty of
these was the components of the bridge were precision, that is the resistors
were matched on one side and the diode compensated for linearity.  No
transformer.  There were 4 ports.  One port had the precision reference 50
termination, the opposite side had the DUT, the third port was RF, and the last
 port the DC signal output.  The sweeper was fed into the RF port and the DC to
the vertical channel of a scope, the swept voltage went to the horizontal
channel.  If handled properly they are good from 1 to 1500 MHz.   It is easy to
see 3 to 30 MHz for checking a cable.   Depending on the sweeper, accuracy
could be easily calibrated with 25, 50, 75, and 100 ohm precision loads.  1.5:1
would give you 2 cms of deflection.  I have a home brew one and it is my SWR
reference to check the portable measurement device.  No it doesn't give you R
and j, sorry.

Mel, K6KBE