On 12/25/2013 8:22 PM, Randy Farmer wrote:
The Radiosport RS 20 headphones are the way to go. They're not cheap, but they really do the job. They have NO electronic circuitry to give RFI problems, just 24 dB of noise reduction due to their excellent acoustic isolation.

I tried them, and found them to be VERY VERY uncomfortable, to the point of being instruments of torture. I'm a contester, and often am in the chair for 20-30 hours in a weekend. I couldn't wear the Radiosport cans for an hour.

I'd rate the acoustic seal of CM500s comparable to Sony MDR7506 / MDR-V6, all of which I've owned and like a lot. In other words, if you're not happy with the MDR-V6, you won't be happy with the CM500. :) I have heard that east coast contesters love the Bose noise cancelling headphones, but I've never heard them. I did try a pair of Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones almost 20 years ago, and they seemed to work, but I wasn't being critical, and that was 20 years ago. :)

The best, and most comfortable, noise isolating headphones I know of are the Etymotic Research ER4-series in-ear earsets, I own two pairs, and wore out one of the cables. They come with 3-4 generic ear fittings, and I found one of them to work well for me -- good isolation and comfort. Cost was about $200 eight years ago when I bought them. The greatest isolation is achieved with custom ear molds, which you buy from an audiologist who fits them to your ear canal.

73, Jim K9YC