The noise pickup must be very close to the ear piece to allow proper and
constant phase for effective canceling. Having a separate box would mean the
phase would change if you moved your head so would't work.

I haven't noticed any "noise blanker" effect. There are surely minor errors in
the canceling process but Bose seems the have it pretty well worked out. iPod
music is great through them even at 40000 ft. :-)

Brian , K0DTJ