Hi Ron and the group

I hope you got your equipment to work on RTTY yesterday but if you didn't I
have been there and done that several times. I didn't see anyone else respond
so I will share some of my experiences.

The first thing on all Windows systems newer than XP, Right click SPEAKERS than
select playback devices, then communications and make sure to check "DO
NOTHING" This turns off the AVC functions that are used by SKYPE and other
similar programs. This may be causing your variations in level to the ALC.

AFSK and FSKD use lower SSB on the Elecraft rigs while PSKD and DATA A use
upper SSB. Your software must be set to match. My software was designed for
other rigs and I must use INVERTED for AFSK or FSKD to make it work. Another
variation I have seen to match some other rigs is TX INVERTED only.

You should try the TEST position to see if you have the same ALC problem with
no RF. It is possible to get RF feedback and or hum if there is a cable problem.

I have also seen software do you a favor by switching to USB or "RTTY" after
you have set up your transceiver. Needless to say this can cause unexplained
problems until I can figure out what happened.

I used FSKD in the contest yesterday to transmit and MixW to receive along with
the N3FJP logging program.  I used the following commands for F1 and F2. F1 kyw
W0CZ W0CZ ;rx;  F2 kyw 599 ND ND ;rx;  .  I also did some other F keys as
desired. The rx; forces the transmitter to shut down right away after the
message. I used the <CATCMD> function in the MixW macros but I think other
software might have a similar method. If I use the K3 or KX3 utility than I use
the COMMAND TESTER tab as the TERMINAL tab filters out all the commands. The
MixW, MTTY and other programs often demodulate better than the utility for
receiviing.

I worked 161 RTTY contacts in the contest yesterday, all hunt and pounce using
FSKD, in about 7 hours using 10, 15, 20, 40, and 80 meters. The antenna was my
Hy-Gain Hy-Tower with radials. The station was the KX3 and the KXPA100-AT at
100 watts.

Someone remarked yesterday that they had a new KX3 KXPA 100 station and they
missed the P3 from the K3. I had the same problem and now use the iMic USB
sound card from the I/Q jack on the KX3 and ROCKY software to give me a
panadaptor display. It is not as nice as the P3 but it sure does work well for
finding a contact either in a contest or for rag chewing.

One final comment the KXPA100 has done everything I have tried so far. One
caution though is PSK31 needs to be run at 50 watts or less because on that
mode linearity becomes extremely important. If I operated in the RUN mode
instead of HUNT and POUNCE it would also be important to cut my power back to
50 watts or less to prevent overheating the amplifier or the KX3.

I hope these comments and suggestions are helpful.

73 and happy hamming in 2014

Ken  W0CZ
w...@i29.net

Sent from my iPad