Hi Nick,

RX SHFT is normally used to cancel the effects of AM detection of very
strong signals that blow by the mixer and enter the detector -
overload.  Since enabling RX SHFT cured this 60Hz+harmonics problem,
it seems likely that you were copying a strong signal with little or
no modulation.  You may have been hearing the transmitter's power
supply ripple.

Is your QTH near a broadcast station or military facility?  I've come
across a similar problem once in a while when operating portable.
Usually, the signal comes out as station audio that can't be tuned
away from.  A couple years ago, I had exactly the same symptoms (never
could explain the _what_ part) and RX SHFT was what I used to solve
it.  It also works well on the OM down the street that operates with
all gain controls set to 11.  :)

73,
matt W6NIA