Nick,

I suspect your antenna ground stakes were not connected to the utility entry ground rod with a #6 or larger copper wire. The earth creates resistance between the antenna ground stake(s) and the AC ground in your home.

Now, that USB phone charger power supply connects to at least the AC neutral, which is in turn connected to the grounding point at the entry panel. There is a lot of wire there to carry noise. That noise can be induced as a voltage between your antenna ground and the electrical system ground due to the resistance between the different ground points. That "circuit" includes your coax shield, and is then carried onto the board ground and enclosure of the KX3.

I strongly suspect that is the reason the noise was not heard when you removed the coax shield from the KX3 is because the KX3 board and enclosure grounds were then isolated from that 'sneak' circuit.

This is one minor reason that all ground rods should be connected to the utility ground - in this case it was a noise producing inconvenience, but in case of a fault in your home electrical system, a dangerous voltage could develop between the two ground points. Bottom line - connect all grounds to the utility entry ground for safety purposes, and hopefully it can also reduce noise generated by devices in your home in your received signal. Such ground rod connections are a requirement of the National Electrical Code because it can be a safety hazard.

If the two grounds are more than 100 feet apart, then they do not have to be connected for safety (according to NEC, but consider that if your coax shield is connected to that remote ground stake and runs into your home, the same safety consideration exists between your coax shield and any AC grounding point, so in the case of antenna ground rods, they should be connected no matter what the distance. NEC requires they be connected using #6 or larger wire.

Certainly with the price of copper, it is expensive to connect the ground rods, but what is the safety of your family or anyone who may be in your home worth?

73,
Don W3FPR