On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 10:15:42 -0800, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Anyone have ideas of the cause.

The first thing to look at is your own house, of course.  If you can very
temporarily power your radio from a battery, even a UPS (but not one you are
currently using, just to make sure that isn't the source), do that and turn the
entire house power off at the breaker.  When that is clean, proceed to look at
the neighborhood.  My favorite trick is to toss a small radio like a IC706 up on
the dash with a sniffer antenna on it and drive around.

One more trick that works well if you are experienced is to put the receiver on
AM mode and listen to the characteristics of the noise.  If you've been around
awhile, you can sometimes tell a lot more about what you are really looking for.

If you can, record it on AM and SSB, and have several knowledgeable people
listen to it to help steer you to the source.  Do it with a direct connection,
not an acoustic pickup, and don't overdo your levels.  A good clean recording
can help your detective work.

I believe plasma TVs can sound terrible.  I can't say for sure, but I think I
have heard one in my "neighborhood".  Nearest neighbors are over a quarter of a
mile away.  When the noise in question came up, I went to AM and it sounded like
high frequency arcing all over the bands.  Luckily, it hasn't been a problem
lately.

Good luck.  I've been fighting one noise for over 20 years here.  We can't seem
to isolate the source.

Gary