Bill, six is a very interesting band.  Are you familiar with the phrase,
hurry up and wait?  That describes six meters as it relates to CW and/or
SSB.  Generally there is no activity on six, except in major cities where
there are some six meter FM repeaters.  Other than I know that they exist,
including here in Phoenix, I know nothing further about FM on six.  A good
six meter antenna is important to hear and work CW and SSB when the band
opens.  My six meter station consists of the Kenwood TS480SAT driving a
Commander legal limit amp.  My antenna is a 9 element yagi from M Square.
My six meter antenna is at approximately 82 feet.  My six meter feed line
consists of LMR900DB from my shack out to the bottom of my tower, the
vertical run up to the top of the tower is made of LMR600, and my rotor loop
is made of LMR600UF.  I generally run about 1200 watts on six.  Here is the
thing though, the band is hardly ever open, so my TS480 basically just sits
there doing nothing.  It is important to leave it turned on though, because
if the band does open, I might easily miss it.  Band openings can last for a
matter of a few minutes, to many hours, but usually only about 15 or 20
minutes.  Therefore, if the rig isn't on, I probably won't know about it.
When I catch an opening, I can work 20 or 30 stations in a matter of 5
minutes say.  However, I haven't caught an opening now for probably 2
months, Hi.  When it happens again, I sure hope that I am in here and ready
to go, Hi.  The band is total chaos during a big opening.  It is hard to
believe how many stations instantly come out of the woodwork.

Six meters can be thrilling or boring at the same time.  I love it, as do
most of the gang that chase grid squares.

73

Alan/KD7GC

Alan R. Downing

Phoenix, AZ