6M is one of those bands, like Marmite you either love it or hate it...

Most of the time, like 10M, it seems as dead as a doornail but when certain conditions are right, it opens up. However, you have to be there when it does.

A good antenna is a must. You can work the world on a 6M dipole or vertical, in the same way as you can use a 20M end fed wire on 160M, but you are putting yourself at a dissadvantage.

Personally, I would always use CW on 6M. 1. It's my favourite mode 2. fewer people use it on VHF (less competition) and 3. for modes like Aurora it's easier than SSB, in my opinion.

My best years on 6M were using a 5 element Yagi/Uda in a house on the side of a hill that faced North. The Auroral reflections were great! I also worked people using Sporadic-E and TEP propagation. I would like to put up a 5 ele for 6M (or even 4M) here and get back on the 6M or 4M bands.

Dave (G0DJA)

----- Original Message ----- Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:08 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] Advice on 6 meters...

I have seen some comments recently about six meters and I have never operated six meters. I don't really have a descent antenna for six meters, just my 80-meter (ladder line fed) dipole or my hex beam that I can at least tune to six meters.