I live in an HOA infested area, my mistake.

Six meters is a LOT of fun now that the concerns over channel two interference are gone. When it is open, it's 'magic' to the point that almost anything works well.

I intend to put up a 'TV' beam antenna (not allowed by the HOA but others are around so that practice is ignored). At least to the uninformed, it 'looks' like a TV antenna in size and shape. I will take advantage of the common ignorance that HDTV is UHF, not VHF (need a smaller antenna now). It will 'just happen' to resonate REALLY well on six meters. ;o) It's not my fault the HOA is ignorant and I don't intend to inform them of this matter. ;-) The only real trick is that I don't own the roof or the outer 'skin' but since I'll be getting a new roof, I figure a case of beer or a bottle of Scotch to the actual roofer will be helpful in making connections to the roof. I'll have them install a weatherhead for feedline, then have THEM attach the anchor to the roof and supporting mast (it will already be >40' above dirt, can't be taller because of a nearby airport). Then I'll um, simply take advantage of what they left behind (and do the install when folks are at school/work). I may even try it on a TV. ;o)

In the meantime, I made a J pole tuned for the upper end of the band (back deck, completely HOA legal). I can work the club repeater and others, while listening for band openings (KRX3). It isn't ideal (too many of my computers, too close to the house), but I'm still building the station up while keeping most of it stealth. Six meters has better coverage in hilly country than two meters, so wide area coverage is pretty easy here (Sierra foothills). [The club repeaters are 6M-900Mhz with interties possible so we saturate our target area.]

So yes, a beam would be an excellent idea. The cost for building a J pole varies with the cost of copper (don't use thin wall and don't use half inch on the lower halves, it flops too much, ask me how I know).

73,
Rick wa6nhc