> My K3, on receive, with the KAT500 in-line, the P3, and my massive 70A Astron
> p.s. powering the K3, drew about 20A DC.  Putting the K3 in transmit mode,
> with just under 12W drive (so as not to kick in the 100w amp) required about
> 30A DC.  Boosting the output to 50W drew about 70A DC.  Running it "wide
> open," at 100W out, required about 80A DC.  And finally, turning on the
> KPA-500, with 15W drive to yield 300W out, required 150A DC.

I haven't made any measurements myself, but I do believe there must be some
error in your numbers. If RX draws 20A and TX at 100W draws 80A, that means 60A
x 12V = 720W input power to create 100W RF output. The other 620W must be
dissipated into heat, which, I guess, would melt the K3 over time :) There
clearly must be an error somewhere.

Also, 20A on RX seems way too high for me. The K3 by itself draws 2A on RX,
IIRC. Add an extra 1A for the P3 and the KAT500 maybe, and we're still missing
17A.

Was your measurement device faulty, or do you have an error in your maths?

73 de Frank PA4N