On 3/5/2014 4:02 PM, Gerald Manthey wrote:

I have seen people say solar and are wind turbine are not worth it. Well
when you have nothing it is. Also knowing that my system is rated for 25
years, I can afford to put some away for new system and new technology. And
I must say it is great not having utility bills.

It's all economics and accounting. Your cost of energy from those sources is replacement cost ["stuff" and labor] plus whatever debt cost you are currently carrying. You can choose to either include or exclude your own labor costs

But, I have enjoyed following this thread and learning how others have and
would do it.

I have too!! Living a life totally "off-the-grid" is very hard, and I admire you. Running just your radio off-the-grid is a whole lot easier. I can "sort of" do that, LP but not necessarily QRP. We still pay our electricity, telephone, propane, grocery, gasoline, medical, and DirecTV bills. At our ages, that's not going to change. Our I'net is free, I host the wireless provider for our neighborhood on my tower. :-)

And home made steam engine that runs a 48 volt alternator.

OK, surely you have photos and an explanation!! :-))) I'd really like to see it. What turns the water to steam? Frequency of the alternator? Why 48VAC?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org