Paul, I have been wondering where you got your information.  It now sounds like
you have been using peak currents that are designed to prove to you that you
need the surge protector equipment rather than any kind of metering to predict
battery life or any other type of average current or electric meter charges.
Such surges are common with power supplies with large capacitance that are
turned off then on and the capacitors charge.  These have to do only with the
internal resistance in the power supply and the resistance of the electrical
lines and nothing to do with your battery requirements.  Your battery capacity,
I would estimate to be the receive current x the required operation time x the
average power x 2 x transmit duty.  Receive current should be about 0.5 amps
for the K2, 1.0 for the K3 with one receiver and 2.0 with two receivers.  The
average power should be about 0.3 X peak power for CW and a bit less for SB.
The duty cycle should be
 about 0.7 for a contest station calling CQ down to almost nothing for a
station mostly listening to a net.  The efficiency for a battery would be best
predicted by manufacturer's data, but should be high for a reasonable sized
battery.  A 60 amp-hour battery is fairly small.  My station battery is rated
at 122 amp hours.  A contest station calling CQ for 48 hours with a K3 using
two receivers and transmitting at 100 watts should require a battery capable of
48 hours x 2 amps +48 X (100 watts/12v) x 0.7 x 0.3 = 180 amp hours or two
fully charged batteries.  Of course, you would want a big amplifier, a
computer, some lights and a refrigerator for food and drink, so the K3 will be
the least of your worry.  If you use an ice chest and an LED light and hunt and
pounce a single well charged battery should handle a CQ WW unless you want a
rotary beam or an amp.  You will note that you can cut your battery requirement
in half with only one receiver in
 your K3.  This estimate makes a lot of reasonable assumptions, so it would
require some empirical data to be very accurate, but it shows that operating on
a weekend camping trip is very reasonable because you are unlikely to call CQ
all night, particularly if your XYL is along to dictate some of your activity.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke, TDXS DX Chairman
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart