[Bit of a ramble]

I am currently wondering exactly what to do on the K2 front - I may buy the IC-7000 because it has 2m and 70cms and can be taken out portable (with a decent battery), also some of my portable locations have 220 volts available and there are some very small switch-mode power supplies available. The IC-7000 would solve quite a few problems in one easy-to-shift package - want to get out on 2m, 70cms as well as HF.

Not being able to adjust the K2 TX frequency via CAT control makes the K2 + transverter option unrealistic for satellite use, this would have been my main use for the K2. The IC-7000 can be adjusted while in transmit.

The IC-7000 downside is RX current drain (1.2A), but solar cells can compensate for this. Cost-wise it's much cheaper than the K2 + options + transverters, but obviously the K2 is a different beast. And I have the KX-1 / K1 / T1 combination anyway.

On the satellite side I am really waiting for the P3E satellite and may stick to the 1.3 / 2.4 (and higher) GHz side of things anyway as I'm sure the 2m / 70cms transponder will be pretty full.

What I think will happen is that I'll become familiar with the K1 first, then try a side-by-side comparison with the K2 while out portable. I see the K2 purchase being put back a year or maybe two - we'll just have to see.

Maybe a visit to FDIM in 2006 is needed to help make the decision - if finances and US passport requirements permit.

Simon Brown
---
www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexandru Csete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks, I will. I just don't have a K2 yet. I am only at the stage
where Simon was few weeks/months ago. The difference is that I can
resist (yeah right...)