Gary,

If you are willing to push a different button than MKRB, you can modify your
DX split procedure by using the PF1 and PF2 buttons to execute a macro that
puts turns the sub-receiver on, copies VFO settings from A to B to make sure
they are on the same band and consistent, sets VFO B to be the transmit VFO
and puts the rig in SPLIT mode. It also moves VFO B up 1 kHz (UPB4;) and
finally makes sure that RIT and XIT are off. When the rig is put into SPLIT
by the "FT1;" macro, the P3's MKRB will appear automatically

If you do this, then holding PF1 instead of MKRB accomplishes everything you
are trying to do.  Holding PF2 restores the simplex DX configuration.

Macros are programmed from the K3 utility's "Command Tester/K3 Macros" tab.
I named my macros "SPLITSUB" and "NOSPLIT", which are displayed in the VFO B
area when the macro is executed.  The text below before the ":" is the macro
label, and the text after the ":" is the macro command string. Follow the
process on page 6 of the K3/KX3 Programmer's manual to create the macro,
download it to the K3 and associate the PF1/PF2 buttons.

SPLITSUB: SB1;SWT13;SWT13;FT1;UPB4;RT0;XT0

NOSPLIT: SB0;FT0;RT0;XT0;SWT13;SWT13

-----
73, Stan - KR7C