RE:  The extended temp compensation is mostly about transmit frequency
stability. It might make some difference in decoding PSK31 as the rig cools
down, but I would expect that to be a smaller effect.

To elaborate a bit more on wunder's comment, it is about frequency stability as
related to temperature changes.  The reason it appears to affect transmit more
than receive is because the KX3 power amplifier transistors generate lots of
heat during transmit, heating up the SI570 oscillator.  The SI570 also
generates heat, but generates the same amount of heat during transmit and
receive (it doesn't know the difference), so it tends to add to the heat during
transmit, and slow the cool-down during receive.  The relatively poor heat
rejection capability of the KX3's enclosure (designed for TFR, not heat
rejection) figures into that mix as well.  So, fast frequency drift during
transmit, slower drift during receive.

I've used SI570's for a number of years on my SDR projects, but have always had
the luxury of being able to isolate them from the radio's final amplifier
transistors, and any other heat source.  They have therefore been very
frequency stable once their temperature levels off following power-up.  The
tight packaging of the KX3 doesn't allow that.  From the reports so far, it
looks like Elecraft's "look-up table" approach is pretty effective at
compensating.

Mark
KE6BB