I have found that if I shift the passband I can still understand SSB even though the DSP filter says it is only 1.1 khz wide. Try it and the signal will be very clear once you hit the sweet spot. I think this is because the intelligence carrying portion of the voice is not necessarily in the center of the passband.

Buck
k4ia