On 3/31/2014 7:52 AM, George Danner wrote:
One of the things that Bell Labs found in adding loading coils to phone
lines (to reduce the high frequencies) was that in an audio system if you
reduce the high frequencies then you needed to also reduce the low
frequencies to keep the intelligibility constant. Since a phone system
needed intelligibility above fidelity; Bell Labs just decreased the coupling
capacitors to reduce the low end while using the line loading coils to
reduce the high frequencies.

Sorry George, but that's not quite right. The attenuation, velocity factor, and characteristic impedance of ALL transmission lines vary drastically through the audio spectrum. All transmission lines behave to some extent as a low pass filter (because attenuation increases with frequency), and the variation in Vf causes the higher frequencies to arrive before the lower frequencies. Loading coils were added to phone lines to compensate for those variations. The result was to "flatten" both the amplitude response and the time response in the audio passband, then allow it to drop sharply above audio.

There's a tutorial discussion of this on my website. It was an appendix to the materials I prepared for a 3-day "Hum, Buzz, and RFI" workshop for audio professionals in 2005.

http://k9yc.com/TransLines-LowFreq.pdf

73, Jim K9YC