The Sherwood list ranking isn’t about how well radios “hear” in general.  Under
the right conditions, most of the radios on the last (and a whole lot of radios
that aren’t) can hear everything our most beloved radio (whatever that is)
hears.  The list is ranked in order of decreasing narrow spaced (2Khz signal
spacing) dynamic range, which is something that makes a difference in extreme
conditions.  The rankings don’t say a thing at all about MDS, or how the AGC
behaves, or internal phase noise, or many other factors (although Sherwood does
indicate when phase noise gets to be limiting in the measurements).  Radios
even close to the bottom of the list can hear everything just fine that a radio
at the top of the list can — most of time.  It’s those “not most of the time”
situations where narrow spaced dynamic range matters that the ranking matters …

Grant NQ5T