I think Bill's question spoke to phase-noise on receive, not transmit. I'm fairly certain all of us are aware of the transmit problem from some transceivers.

To Bill's question, I'd say "No," I cannot hear the difference when the measured noise is in the -135to -140 range, other noise sources totally mask it for me.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org