Hello Dave,

Very good to know you like K3.  Are your comments related to CW operation or
phone operation?  I suppose all your A/B tests are related to CW mode.

Please enlighten me.

73

Johnny VR2XMC
K-Line

________________________________
 寄件人︰ David Cole <d...@nk7z.net>
收件人︰ elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期︰ 2014年04月17日 (週四) 10:28 PM
主題︰ [Elecraft] K3 First Impressions

Hi all,

I thought I might communicate my initial feelings/impressions regarding
the K3 vs. the Pro 3.

There is no question the K3 is a better receiver than the Pro 3; period!
Overall I can hear things on the K3 I was not able to hear on the Pro 3.
I did a very short, (didn't take too long to see the difference),  A/B,
and things on the K3 are clearer, cleaner, and easier to understand,
while on the Pro 3, they are buried in noise, and not quite as
understandable.

CW is a dream on the K3.  The dial up filters are marvelous for CW.  I
can't wait to get familiar enough with the K3 to start pile up running
on CW.

The K3, (at this time), feels a lot more difficult to operate than the
Pro 3, however I am sure this is because I used the Pro 3/2 combo for
many numbers of years, and have all of 48 whole hours on the K3.

There is a learning curve, but that is fine, I have no issue with that.
The book by KE7X is very helpful, and fills a huge hole in documentation
that exists for the newcomer to the K3.

I also gained a HUGE amount of desktop space, as the Pro 3 had the PS
and external Speaker attached to it.  I will be putting up a pair of
speakers for the K3 later today, on a different shelf.  I kind of like
the minimalistic look of the operating position now.

I coupled the install of the K3, with a full station rebuild. Starting
with the grounding system, and ending with little wire hangers so I can
pull the desk out and clean behind it as needed.  It had been something
like 10 years since the last full shack cleanup so you can imagine what
it looked like.  I have a pile of "extra" cables now...

About the only thing that has me stumped so far is the use of the Sub
RX. I suspect it is listening to the RX Antenna input, because I get no
signals on it at all.  I am sure as I work through things I will find
that is the case.

I'll post photos on my web page if anyone actually wants to see the
installed station.  I'll include photos of the back of the station and
the cable runs as well.  That will be in a week or so.

Many thanks to all that helped me select the K3, and answered the large
number of questions I had.  You all helped me in deciding to purchase
this rig, and I am not unhappy at all with it.

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net