Don't forget how revolutionary the Commodore VIC-20 was with all of 3.2 K of RAM. We (Microlog) made a plug in called the AIR-1 for the VIC that allowed CW & RTTY communications. I wrote a complete production test program in BASIC that required no other test equipment but plugging in the AIR-1 and running the tape loaded test program. It checked the CW copy, aligned the AFSK generator and verified CW & PTT keying, all in that 3.2 K of RAM with neat graphic indicators on the screen for the production testers.

Needless to say I REALLY got fancy when I had all of that extra memory to play with on the later C-64. It was not the full 64K but LOTS more than the VIC.

73, Charlie k3ICH

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Cozens" <ke...@ve3syb.ca>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Computers in the Stone Age

Someone wrote:
Desktop computers did not come into being until the advent of the IBM
PC in the 1980s.

(Among?) The first desktop computers were the S-100 bus based machines. First, the Altair 8800 announced on the cover of Popular Electronics magazine in January 1976, and its later popular variant the IMSAI 8080. They were in boxes along the size of 17" rack mount sized boxes with high-amperage power supplies.

Other early desktop computers that came along not long after were the Apple I and II lines, and the Commodore computers such as their PET.

Josh W6XU wrote:
Maybe he's remembering running DR-DOS on the Apple II? Required a Z80 card.

PC-DOS/MS-DOS/DR-DOS were all for the IBM PC and compatible computers. The plug-in card for the Apple II and later computers that had the Z-80 CPU on it was so that you could run CP/M. I have one for my pair of Apple computers.

The plug-in card and floppy disk system used with the Apple II could be thought of as the K2 of its day. It may seem quaint today but the disk system was a marvel of engineering in its simplicity and elegance.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/ |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172 | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're