Gates and Allen actually did write that software. After seeing what the pair
had written in their dorm room,  Dr Roberts invited them down to the MITS
facility in New Mexico to improve the software for his product. They did so,
then eventually moved back up to home - Bellevue, WA to continue the effort.
This same software was ported to the favorite processors (mainly Z80, 8080 and
6502, although there may have been a 6800 version) and showed up in many
systems, including the Apple, TRS-80, OSI C1P (still have mine) and many
others. My first recollection of the Microsoft name comes from a Dr Dobbs
article back in 1975 or 76.

Microsoft purchased the beginnings of MS-DOS from Seattle Softworks for the IBM
effort.

My first computer? A home-brew 6502 system started in late 1976, proposed as an
article for QST, but not accepted. We had to sneak computer product reviews
into QST at that time since the prevailing attitude was that they had little to
do with ham radio (reference my review of the Processor Technology VDM-1 in
March 1977 QST, among others). That attitude changed within a year. My 6502
system saw its first attempt at contest logging in ARRL November SS 1977, but a
severe RFI problem caused the effort to be abandoned. Boy have things come a
long way since.

Jack Brindle, W6FB (ex-WA4FIB)