I trained my KAT500 right after I built it, I run it in MANUAL, and it's about as perfect as you can get. I don't think I've ever asked for an additional feature, so here goes:

I use a C-R dipole @~65 ft for 40, 30, 17, and 12 [the GAP Titan is just too noisy on those bands]. I built it from two lengths of 450 ohm "window-line". Works great ... like a fan-dipole, it has a dipole pattern on all bands instead of squirting my RF in undesired directions on 17 and 12. The problem: 450 ohm window-line is somewhat sensitive to rain, fog, snow, ice, and other forms of wetness. Thus, I need to re-train at the beginning of the rain, and again when summer arrives [almost never rains in the N. Cal Sierra foothills from about May to Oct]. So,

1. Two banks of EEPROM to store separate training values. As an accessory would be fine for me, a lot of folk have stable antennas and, in the "Elecraft Ethic," should not have to pay for it if they don't need it.

2. As an alternative, add a "Train Your KAT500" option in the KAT500 Utility. Upside is that doing it manually takes quite awhile. Down side is that your 20W tune signal is sure to step very briefly on someone somewhere since the Utility won't have any good way of know if the chosen training frequency is occupied [Don't use 14230 or 14300 :-)]. The Utility could maybe allow you to select segments used [mine would all be CW] which would lessen the on-air impact.

And now, I await someone telling me that the KAT500 Utility already does this. I don't see it there, but I've overlooked a lot of features on my Elecraft gear.

Fred K6DGW
TDY Livermore CA