Dave -

Do you feel up to building a kit? The K2 is a good radiofor this experience. You can start small, with the 10-15 watt base CW only transceiver, adding modules and functions (SSB, noise blanker, automatic antenna coupler, 100-watt amplifierstage, etc.) as time and budget permit. But the important thing is, the K2 doesn't give away much of anything to bigger (and more costly) units. Its performance is top notch (verified by any number of test reports from professional labs), and it hasthe distinct advantage of being a rig that the average ham can still fix by himself. Add to that the world class technical and factory support, and you've got a winner. I am sure may others on this reflector will agree.

If you don't feel up to a kit, there are even fellows on here that will build it for you for a nominal fee, and the end result is a truly professional job.

- Jim, KL7CC