Dave,

For portable QRP operation, I would suggest that the KX3 is the optimum solution. It is all-mode, 160 through 6 meter coverage, and is rated at the top of the Sherwood listing for receive performance. It is available either factory built or as a no-solder kit.

If that is out of your current radio budget, then I would suggest the K2 as the 2nd choice. Yes, it is a kit that you need to assemble from the basic resistors, capacitors, ICs and transistors. The basic K2 covers 80 thru 10 meters, CW only, but options can be added for 160 meter coverage, SSB, automatic antenna tuner, as well as other functions such as the noise blanker and either audio DSP or an audio filter. Even though it is a 15 year old design, it is still rated quite high on the Sherwood listings. The nice thing about the K2 is that you can build the basic K2 and add options as your ham budget recovers later.

All Elecraft transceivers have a built in keyer.

I would have suggested the K1, but you specified SSB operation and 80 meters. The K1 will do 80 meters, but that band must be built on a 2 band board. There is a 4 band board available, but it covers 40, 30, 20 and your choice of 17 or 15 meters.

73,
Don W3FPR