I wonder if anyone's ever used a kite in a field to keep a wire "up".
I see kites a lot in the summer, along belt parkway here in Brooklyn and they
seem to stay in one place for long periods of time.
I'm sure one can use 12 or 14 AWG wire and let a kite carry it pretty high. Of
course you need wind for that but being near water (salt water, no less)
there's usually wind present.
Hmm.....

Another idea that may be used to place a wire with a lot of precision is one of
those RC quadricopters that are becoming wildly popular.
A little servo "claw" to release the wire or just to place it's apex where you
want it...
Slava (Sal) B, W2RMS
w2...@arrl.net