Hmmm. Interesting theory Vic. I agree that ambient noise probably doesn't have any particular polarization. My dipoles clearly have less noise pickup than my verticals. I do have a Cushcraft MV-6 compact vertical on top of the garage which has a balun as part of its design and it's noise level seems lower than the ground mounted verticals. But, it also has negative gain compared to a dipole or a full-size vertical.

I was planning an experiment consisting of a full size vertical radiator made of aluminum tubing and two horizontal ground planes made of carefully tuned ham sticks. Now, I'll be sure to feed it through a good current balun to insure the feedline is fully decoupled.

Another experiment on the summer agenda is a full-wave loop configured as a vertical rectangle to produce a 50 ohm feed point. I've read that a full wave loop is much better at rejecting noise and produces a lower angle of radiation for a given height than a dipole. I'd love to put up a quad, but $600 is a bit much right now. A full wave loop costs almost nothing by comparison. I'm wondering if perhaps a delta loop could be effective as a portable radiator for the KX3. An inverted triangle fed from the bottom apex seems simple enough.

With summer finally here it is time to pull out the boxes of wire, coax and insulators and see what sort of interesting things to build.

Doug -- K0DXV