Finally hit a breather in my busy schedule* to spend a little time with the new 2M transverter module. *Just wound up running a week of W1AW/KL7 for 2m eme.

My unit was one of the few that had to have the Rx fixed as result of field testing. Came back in great shape and verified the RF output to be 3w. I still don't have enough time to make the exhaustive frequency measurements that I want to evaluate for use with mw transverters that commonly use 144 as IF, but

...made some local 2m-FM contacts and noticed the receiver audio seemed "scratchy", sort of like one would see with poor signals. That got me curious to make some tests with my other 2m-FM rig and that also seemed off.

At the same time I decided to program the KX3 with the local NOAA Wx station (162.475) and it was terrible. I switched to my standard vertical dual-band base station whip and NOAA came at S6 "loud and clear" -wow! Quick check of the tower-mounted preamp shows its blown. It reverts to bypass by removing 12v power. BTW the preamp is connected to a yagi pointed toward Anchorage 70-mi north. The NOAA station is 20mi south.

But the thing I wanted to say is KX3-2M Rx sensitivity at 162 MHz appears pretty good! Quick check of 2m Rx sensitivity was made using my XG3+30 dB step-attenuator and good it was hearing down to -137 dBm in SSB bandwidth.

Now I am fixing a RFConcepts 2-23 30w linear amp to be driven by the KX3-2M. This amp is a very nice brick which is small enough to take on a plane in a briefcase when traveling. Being linear it can be used on 2m-SSB with the KX3-2M. Check out my new webpage for the 2M module:
http://www.kl7uw.com/KX3-2M.htm

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"