From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Wayne
Burdick
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 6:15 PM
To: Jim GM
Cc: Elecraft
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] A Good Antenna Length?

Jim,

Try 102 feet (or so) for each leg of a dipole fed with twinlead or open-wire
line. This is not a close multiple of a half-wave on any band from 160-6
meters, so it stands a chance of providing a reasonable match on all bands.

If the internal tuners can't find a match on one or two bands, adjust the
length of one or both sides by a couple of feet experimentally. It'll be
slightly imbalanced if it ends up off-center-fed, but this won't have much
practical impact.

At my QTH I use a 4:1 balun (Elecraft BL2) right at the radio to feed this
antenna. The BL2 also has a 4:1/1:1 switch. I use the 4:1 setting for all
but one band, where the 1:1 setting makes it easier on the ATU. Note that if
you don't get to a low SWR when you first tap ATU TUNE, tap again within 5
seconds and the tuner will try more LC combinations. This will nearly always
provide a 2:1 or better match unless the antenna presents a very high
impedance.

The KXAT3 will match a wider range than the KXAT100. For safety reasons, our
QRO ATUs put limits on the SWR they will try to match.

Use a good ground at the station. If in your installation you experience any
RFI at higher power, drop back to a lower level.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Message delivered to b...@wjschmidt.com