An end-fed half wave inverted L (EFHWL) done properly works very well. It
needs to be tuned at the base of the wire against ground.

An EFHWL for 80m is an excellent antenna that has no nulls and has
vertically polarized low angle radiation equal to a decent 1/4 wave
vertical. The horizontal wire fills in the general pattern to a hemisphere
with a broad and mild null in the direction of the horizontal pull. It is
an ideal all-distance contest antenna, because there are no holes in
coverage in any direction or elevation.

I have used this antenna at 1.5 kW off and on across 50 years with
excellent results. The current max is at the bend, with a high resistance
feed at the ground, making the effective series resistance of the grounding
system of no consequence. Even a completely pathetic 100 ohm ground at the
base does little damage against a 1000-2000-3000 ohm feedpoint for the
wire.

It IS uncommon and requires tuning at the base of the antenna, and that
network requires components usually found in the output tuning networks of
tube based QRO amplifiers.  You can't feed the base of the antenna directly
from coax without a tuner, and you can't buy the tuner off the shelf
anywhere.

With some DPST relays, coil stock and a single well-chosen fixed value QRO
transmit capacitor, the antenna + tuning mechanism can cover the entire
3.5-4 ham band with less than 1.5:1 SWR anywhere.

With some further work in the tuning mechanism, and attention to a proper
160m counterpoise, the wire will work well on 160-80-40-30 with distance
from any tower(s).

In my experience with that over the years, the EFHWL always beat an 80
dipole or inverted vee for DX and was as good as or beat dipole and vee for
local and mid range. A 4-square would beat the EFHWL for DX.

73, Guy.