That has nothing to do with flame from the stove.  Water boils at a lower
temp at altitude, so you have to cook things longer in boiling water.  At
7400 ft ASL, the boiling point of water is 198.5 F.

Barry W2UP

Re:  I couldn't ignite it. It would sputter and refuse to burn. We were at
7400' (2260 m).

That doesn't surprise me.  I don't have experience with butane torches at
altitude,  but I have eaten far too many freeze dried dinners that were
crunchy because, at altitude (8,500 ft. in my case), there wasn't enough
oxygen in the air so that the flame from my friend's butane stove would heat
the water hot enough to reconstitute the food.  Cold temperatures affect
butane stoves as well.  Put high altitude together with cold temperatures
and the result is crunchy noodles!  (My old Svea white gas stove works well
to 11,000 ft., even in the cold, but it has its own hazards).

Mark,
KE6BB