If you include a lightning protection system in your home and radio station
construction, be sure to perform regular follow-up inspections of the
system.  As lightning protection systems age and corrode, or new
construction or changes are implemented, the system needs to be tested and
evaluated to be sure it can perform when required.

A ham friend does inspection of lightning protection systems
professionally. I got some first hand education when a NWS forecast office
had lightning damage. They discovered after the fact that the building and
tower protection system had corroded and needed upgrading. It was a costly
experience.

My mother lost several items worth thousands of dollars to lightning damage
just a few weeks ago in Oklahoma.  The lack of lightning protection was as
much a factor as the lighting.  Many of the items were connected via UPS
boxes. UPS's cannot substitute for a lightning protection system.  As has
been noted by others, she cannot disconnect everything in the house.
Sadly, she had just settled an ins claim for hail storm damage.  I don't
think her insurance company is very happy with her.

Regards,
David McAnally
WD5M